What is a framework?
A framework as it applies to websites (a website framework) is a group of applications that extend the functionality of a Content Management System by supplying techniques that bypass or lessen the need to do coding. By using a framework, a developer can greatly reduce the amount of time required to create, modify, and maintain a website.
A framework is essentially a theme development tool installed inside a Content Management System as a parent theme. But if you were to change its code to meet your design needs, the next time there was an update, all your changes would go away. So, a framework should be the parent to a child theme. More on child themes in a later post.
The important thing to keep in mind about a framework is its definition. It is a frame work. The wooden framework of a house is a structure allowing for a sturdier house. A skeleton is a structure created by a collection of bones used to form a sturdier body. Genesis Framework is a structure created from many applications used to create a sturdier WordPress website.
There are many free and premium frameworks available for Content Management System developers.The one I will talk about in this post is Genesis Frameworks created by StudioPress for WordPress developers. It is not free so it must be robust and current to satisfy its users. We use it every day and love it.
It adds to or enhances WordPress’s already robust set of tools.
It gives you:
- the ability to create responsive HTML5 designs.
- the ability to chose a different layout for individual posts and pages
- a way to increase search engine optimization (SEO)
- a set of widgets that allow for modification of header elements, sidebar, and footer elements. Includes the ability to include an added header element off to the right, a secondary sidebar, and 2 additional footer elements.
- the ability to include one or more featured posts and pages almost anywhere on your website.
- the ability to create a child theme to store all your modifications and tweaks securely
- access to more than 50 Genesis Framework specific child themes created by StudioPress.
- support for the many child themes offered by StudioPress and third party developers that are uniquely created for use with Genesis Framework.
Finally, we like Genesis Framework because it just works for us.
* Please be aware that the banner link is an affiliate link. If you use them and buy one of the products offered, we will get a small refund. The product will cost you no more than if you had found it on your own.