What is a Child Theme?
Once again, I’m talking in terms of WordPress and at the WordPress Codex, they say:
“A child theme is a theme that inherits the functionality and styling of another theme, called the parent theme.”
The child theme I’ll be discussing in this article is the Dynamik child theme designed to be used with Genesis Framework being the parent theme. Dynamik is a product of Cobalt Apps
Why Use a Child Theme
- Say you’re using the ReallySuper theme (fictitious) and you’ve made numerous modifications to it. When ThemeCoders.com (also fictitious) update the ReallySuper theme and you install it, all your modifications are swept away. All that hard work is wasted.
- Using a child theme allows you to save time by using the majority of the parent theme as it stands and only making needed changes which are stored safely in the child theme.
- Creating (or using) a child theme is a good way to become proficient in WordPress theme development.
As has been said in previous articles, Genesis Framework is the WordPress parent theme used by WPConversion.com and Dynamik is its child theme.
- Standard design and development.
- Making upkeep of the website easier (for both us and the website users).
- Consistency in creating layout, looks, functionality.
The use of Dynamik is most beneficial in that it allows a web developer to create a very precise and exact website look and feel using industry standard languages and databases. Pay attention to that word – standard. When a standard is used, it makes life simpler for the web developer (and possible replacements) to recognize how the website was created and how to continue with its maintenance and/or modification.
But you must be aware that Dynamik is not for everyone. It has a large learning curve and a lot of time must be spent in mastering it. Each day we further our knowledge of our tools by creating new and challenging websites.
Save your time. You do what you do best – manage your business and sell your products and let us do what we do best – build strong, robust, safe websites using an evolving and standardized technology.